Thursday 30 October 2014

FORGET-ME-NOT

Myosotis (from the Greek: "mouse's ear", after the leaf) is a genus of flowering plants in the family Boraginaceae that are commonly called forget-me-nots. Its common name was calqued from the French, ne m'oubliez pas and first used in English in c. 1532. Similar names and variations are found in many languages.

In 15th-century Germany, it was supposed that the wearers of the flower would not be forgotten by their lovers. Legend has it that in medieval times, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "forget me not". It was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love.

The field forget-me-not (Myosotis arvensis) shown here is a low to short plant, softly hairy. Branched at the base. Basal leaves in lax rosette. Flowers bright grey-blue saucer shaped. 3 to 5 mm calyx closed in fruit the tube with numerous hooked hairs. It is a common garden plant with many beautiful blue flowers in Spring and Summer.

Field forget-me-not is usually an annual or biennial herb. Its success is based on its flexibility. The seeds can wait in the soil for a suitable time to sprout for up to 30 years and germinate when conditions become favourable.

This post is part of the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! I would love some of these in my garden! Just love the colour!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.